NEW  USED  PARTS  ORDERING  PAYMENT  SHIPPING  WARRANTY  RETURNS

TECH  RESOURCES  GALLERY  WANTED  LINKS  NEWS   EBAY  FAKES

HOME  NAMM  FEEDBACK  TESTIMONIALS   CONTACT  EMAIL

 


 

US SHIPPING
US PARTS SHIPPING
INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING - USED GUITARS
SOUTH AMERICAN SHIPPING - USED GUITARS
INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING FORWARDERS

 

US SHIPPING

Typical shipping charges for UPS Ground, insured for $1000 are;

East Coast - $30 -    delivery time 1-3 days

Midwest - $40 -   delivery time 2-4 days

Plains - $45 -    delivery time 3-5 days

Rocky Mountain - $50 -    delivery time 6-7 days

West Coast - $60 -    delivery time 7 days

If the package is much larger than usual, heavier,  or the insurance value much is higher it can increase these quotes dramatically. I have paid $100 to ship UVRE's to the West Coast, not counting packing supply costs. Faster shipping options by UPS are available and must be quoted on an individual basis. I will need your Postal Code to calculate the shipping charge.

 

US PARTS SHIPPING

I ship small US orders in a padded envelope First Class mail, or faster at your request. Allow 3 - 14 days for delivery, sometimes the mail is just sloooow, but the delivery confirmation number can be tracked. {Do not ask me for this number unless it has been at least 2 weeks since it was shipped]. As with all US mail, sometimes it gets lost. The rules of USPS stipulate you must allow 21 days for delivery before you can file an insurance claim for lost mail. It's unfortunate but I have has several "lost" orders show up in that 3rd week so my best advice is, be patient, or, request Priority Mail shipping, which, being mail, can also be lost.

If it does get lost and is insured, USPS requires you to wait until 30 days after the ship date before a claim can be filed. Since 2005 I have only had 2 claims for lost parts order within the US.

Shipping options for First Class mail of small parts within the US.

For personal check purchases.
$2 for regular mail, no crying if it gets lost. It's mail, mail sometimes gets lost.
or,
$3 for regular mail with delivery confirmation
or,
$5 for insured w/ delivery confirmation

For Paypal purchases - under $30
$3 for regular mail with delivery confirmation
or,
$5 for insured w/ delivery confirmation

For Paypal purchases - over $30
$5 for insured w/ delivery confirmation

Faster options

For personal check purchases.
$6 Priority, no crying if it gets lost, It's mail, mail sometimes gets lost.
or
$8 Priority with insurance and delivery confirmation
or
$20 for Express insured.up to $100.

For Paypal purchases
$8 Priority with insurance and delivery confirmation
or
$20 for Express insured up to $100.

Large or bulky orders that will not fit in a padded envelope will cost between $8 and $15 for Priority mail insured w/confirmation.  I will have to quote these on the basis of weight and insurance value per order.

 

INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING - USED GUITARS

All International shipping must be quoted on an individual basis. I will need the Country and Postal Code of the shipping address, and of course the insurance value of the shipment to calculate. On average Postal Express runs between $120 and $150 but with insurance charges at around $10 per $1000 can vary greatly between a $800 package to a $5000 package. USPS has made many changes to the insurance limits available to many countries and there are not many that will allow insurance over $650. If paying with Paypal it must be fully insured so EMS is not an option unless the guitar value is within $100 of the insurance available. UPS shipping costs about twice as much as Postal but is much faster to most countries, has extremely accurate tracking, and unlimited insurance. Specifics of these reasons and options below.

Express Mail Service - Now called GEM [Global Express Mail in the US], Express Mail is available to all countries. EMS has size restrictions to many countries that will not allow shipment of a guitar size package. There is a loophole to this in that if the shipment is processed through Paypal there is no size restriction for Paypal shipping. There is an insurance limitation though. There are very few countries that still allow $5000 in available insurance, the rest have all been restricted to $650, which is low compared to most of the guitars I sell [but not all]. If you are paying with Paypal it must ship fully insured, otherwise I am liable for any amount over that in case of complete loss or damage. If you are paying with bank wire transfer then it is your option to have it shipped underinsured, if your country allows for guitar sized packages. You can also pay by bank wire and if you send $1 by Paypal I can process these normally oversize shipments using the Paypal shipping loophole, but you will be completely liable for any underinsurance. If you are buying a $1000 guitar using Paypal, shipping to a country that only has $650 insurance limitations, then it will have to ship UPS.

Shipping time to your country is fast and usually only 2 or 3 days, but since nobody brokers it through customs the Customs Office has to clear it themselves. A Government Agency at work, in a very big warehouse. Clearing a package includes figuring the Duty/VAT/Tax and sometimes contacting the receiver to ask them how they're paying their Customs bill as some countries require that you pay the Taxes in full *before* they will clear the package. Some countries Customs Office can be a black hole that swallows a package for 10 days to almost 3 weeks, some are quick, England has taken as short as 4 days for total delivery time for GEM [smaller than guitar size packages, specifically under 36"] and as long as 3 weeks by Airmail for a guitar. After the package clears Customs it's turned over to your country's Postal Service and continues it's Express delivery [or Airmail]. Again here, some are much quicker and efficient than others. With GEM you usually get decent tracking information you can check online at usps.com, with Airmail you get no tracking at all.

UPS - UPS usually costs about twice what EMS would, but is very fast, reliable, tracking is excellent, and there is essentially no insurance limit. I will quote both Expedited and Express Saver, Express being about $25 more than Expedited and usually only one day faster, and will need your postal code and the details of the order to calculate the costs. UPS will broker the package through Customs in advance,  calculate all the Duties/Fees/Taxes, submitting the correct paperwork to the Customs Office, and pay the import fees due themselves so the package flies through Customs. Typically they will call you to make arrangements and why your phone number is required for all exports, but this varies by country and sometimes they will just show up at your door and require a check before they will release it. With curriers like UPS size is money and the guitar will be packed as small as is safe to save on the high costs of size, but at your option you can pay as much as you want for as extensive a packing as you desire.

 

SOUTH AMERICAN SHIPPING - USED GUITARS

Shipping South of the US is extremely expensive by any of the US shipper. I was just recommended this service which uses their own planes to ship to South America with substantial savings. The website is in Spanish so use your own judgment if the shipping method from the plane to your door is satisfactory to you. Shipping to this outfit from me is $30. www.skybox.net - But there are many Shipping Forwarders in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale that specialize in this cheaper container shipping. A Google search will show you many large and reliable companies that specialize in shipments to all over the world. If paying by Paypal the address it ships to the forwarder must be your registered shipping address, and I deal with many that have theirs set up that way. If you don't or can't then you will have to pay by bank wire transfer.

 

INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING FORWARDERS

There is a Shipping Forwarder in the US that specializes in shipping to just about any country on the planet. I cannot recommend any in particular, I just know how many customers have used these over the years. They offer significant savings in the costs of International shipping, especially to countries in South America or behind the old Iron Curtain. Other reasons why some use these services are that they will declare whatever value on the package you request which can offer significant savings in Customs duties, but of course is probably against the laws of your country. I don't doubt that some of these are used for that purpose alone as the costs of some import duties can exceed 30%! You will have to find these and deal with the arrangements yourself, set up the "Mail Box" or "Customer Account", but if you ever plan on continual buying from the US where many things are cheaper and the selection better than elsewhere, it's a service that can be very beneficial over time. If paying by Paypal the registered shipping address must be the shipping address of your Forwarder Account, if it isn't then you will have to pay by bank wire transfer.

 

International Customs Fees

Examples of what some countries charge in import fees. If not listed please contact your Customs Office and ask for the specifics.

Canada bills 5%GST plus whatever your local provincial tax is, plus 6% duty. Alberta will pay 11% taxes total, Saskatchewan they will pay 18% (5 GST, 6 Duty, and 7PST), etc.

England bills 22.4% total VAT and Duty.

Ireland bills 21% VAT and 3.7% Duty for electric guitars

Finland bills 3.7% Duty and 22% VAT totaling 25.7%

Holland bills 3.2% Duty and 19% Consumer Tax totaling 22.2%

Spain bills  3.75% Duty and 16% VAT for a combined 19.75%

Denmark bills 25%

Sweden bills 25% plus 3% Customs fee.

Switzerland bills out 7.6% MWST Import Tax

 

 

Copyright August 2000 by Ibanez Rules!!